COST - $9.95
The Amy backpack is both stylish and useful too! Even though overall it is relatively small, it is quite roomy with loads of pockets to keep everything organized! Complete with a large front exterior zippered pocket, an elastic front pocket and two elastic side pockets.
The main pocket is zippered and inside there is a large slip pocket as well! Finished bag size = Approx. 30cm (12") X 33cm (13") X 10cm ( 4"). This pattern is recommended for the BASIC sewer and is relatively quick and easy BUT assumes some prior sewing knowledge. There are 38 pages of instructions, along with 61 step by step color photos and 6 pattern pieces. There are printing instructions and test squares to check the scale, in addition to 7 pages of text only instructions to make printing easier! Measurements are also now given in metric and imperial.
Hardware Suggestions: This bag makes up great in home dec fabric BUT also makes up nicely in quilting weight fabrics, light weight denim & canvas. The bag in the photo is made from a soft polyester cotton blend fabric with a light weight lining. Using these fabrics and a cute button creates a very soft, girly backpack!
You will Need:
• Exterior Fabric: 75 cm (¾ Yard) of 112cm (40") wide fabric.
• Lining Fabric: 90cm (1 yard) of 112cm (40") wide fabric
• Fusible Interfacing: Mid weight - 50cm (½ Yard)
• Fusible Fleece: 50cm (½ Yard")- Light weight. I used Vilene H 630 - 40cmW (16")
• Matching Thread. (I use Gutermann Polyester)
• 1 piece of firm single side fusible peltex - 23cm X 10cm (9" x4") for base OR alternatively you can use any similar firm single side fusible stabilizer.
• 1 X 48cm (19") zipper to match exterior (You can cut down a larger one if you need to) for the top
• 1 X 20cm (8") zipper to match exterior fabric for the front pocket
• 25.5cm (10") of 14mm (½") elastic for front pockets • 23cm (9") of 6mm (¼") elastic for side pockets
• 1 X 2.5cm (1") (approx.) Decorative button for elastic zipper pocket
• 4X Bag Feet
• Scraps of interfacing and peltex Tools:
• Your sewing machine and additional zipper foot
• Scissors plus Rotary Cutter & Mat (Optional)
• Fading marker or chalk • Pins & hand sewing needle
• Seam/stitch ripper & tape measure
• Safety Pin (for turning straps etc) or Bodkin